Open Hour 2021-DEC-02
December 2, 2021 - Alyssa Rock
- General updates and announcements
- Release updates
- Community forum updates
- Working group updates
- Salt extension module for vSphere: update and demo
- Salt Enhancement Proposals
- Q&A plus discussion
General updates and announcements
- SaltConf21 breakout sessions are now available on YouTube and new sessions are being added every day. Be sure to subscribe! SaltConf 21 playlist
- Alyssa Rock is joining the Salt team as a technical writer next week! She’s helping Chunga make some improvements to the SaltProject.io landing page and will make her docs roadmap available to the community soon.
- We reviewed the following issues and pull requests for possible inclusion in the next release:
- The Core team will discuss these issues in the next sprint planning meeting.
Community forum updates
- This week’s featured issue: two different users reported that while they were creating and updating their organization’s winrepo modules, they experienced issues where they pushed updates and didn’t see their matching, updated values.
- The solution to this problem is to refresh the database after making changes. As a best practice, always remember to refresh your database after making changes. Even if you think you have updated the database, consider doing it again anyway.
- Check out Thomas’s orchestration that updates everything in Salt for all the different caches and refreshing of the databases to see if it could help you.
- Be aware that winrepo is set to refresh automatically on a weekly basis because the refresh can take a very long time and is resource intensive. The refresh iterates every SLS and renders each one, which makes the process take a long time.
Working group updates
- The key contributors of the Docs working group will meet together and decide on a new meeting time and format for 2022.
- We are rebooting Kubernetes (K8s) working group. If you are interested in joining the working group, add yourself to the #k8s channel on Slack and/or reach out to Gareth Greenaway.
Salt extension module for vSphere: updates and demo
- A new Salt extension for vCenter was announced at VMworld in October 2021. Please check it out!
- To open an issue: https://github.com/saltstack/salt-ext-modules-vmware/issues
- Right now the development team is working on connecting to the REST API and getting the tagging functionality working.
- The team recently added some functionality for vmware_folder and vware_esxi that will be up on PyPi around Wednesday.
- Joey Gibson demoed these features. Check out the Open Hour recording for more details when today’s video is posted.
Salt Enhancement Proposals (SEPs)
Q&A plus discussion
- Q: I have a customer that wants better functionality for shared keys. This architecture change might require a SEP. What is the process for getting some Core team resources for this request?
- A: The first step would be to write a SEP so that the Core team can know exactly what the proposal and implementation would be. After that, the team can assess the request and determine a priority.
- Q: There is a Salt plugin for Packer. It’s not been spun out from the Packer core and is currently unmaintained. Would the Salt Project be willing to take that on? See the plugin at https://github.com/hashicorp/packer-plugin-salt and the documentation at https://www.packer.io/docs/provisioners/salt
- A: This would be an ideal use case for turning into a Salt extension if we could find maintainers for it. The core team could possibly investigate this module and Tiamat distributions of Salt might be able to help. As a temporary stop gap, we could also explore creating documentation examples of bash scripts to make it work correctly.