Open Hour 2021-JAN-14
- General Updates
- Aluminium Release
- Docs Clinic Today
- General Q&A
- YouTube Video Link
- PDF of Slides can be found here
- New Branding – redirecting to new URLs for docs.saltstack.com –> docs.saltproject.io
- Monthly Virtual Meetups starting in February more to come!
- Salt Air is being revived: look for communications, links, and updates
- We are migrating the
2019.xand no-longer-supported OS packages to
- See Salt Lifecycle Enforcement for more info
- RC Date changed from Jan 28 to Feb 4 and that changes code freeze
- Thursdays, 2PM US MT / 8PM UTC
- Weekly rotations between Working Group Zoom calls, and Twitch Docs Clinic streams
- Twitch SaltStackInc
From IRC written by the amazing Wayne Werner
Sage> the outlook calendar is not great
Wayne> not a fan (me either, ew)
Sage> we haven’t made a decision where we want to move it, I only want to move it once but more to come about that if you have any feedback, please let me know
Janae> Yeah, things that should just be small fixes are uh… bigger. Your feedback about that pain is being heard. we need a good calendar
Sage> absolutely… and that one is not
Janae> we’re going to be revamping Salt Air, the YouTube channel. I’ll be hosting, Tom will be on that, we’ll have a lot of the core team guesting on that We’ll be getting more Salt project focused social media accounts
Sage> Yeah in the past they’ve been really focused more on the enterprise project, so this should be a good thing! On SEPs, I know that Barney is looking for starting a security WG, that’s something that we need to start up.
Barney> With the Salt project rebrand, is the GitHub org going to change?
Sage> No – not that we know of
Barney> Re: VMware merge of SSE into vRA, are there any thoughts out there about open sourcing any SSE pieces?
Sage> Will be meeting today, hopefully we will have some stuff to talk about over the next month
Andrew> When I go to repo.saltstack.com there’s a series of steps, is there a way to provide prebuilt packages?specifically air-gapped installs
Bryce> you can mirror the repo – there are instructions for how to mirror those
Megan> tiamat is another option to build Salt, and then you can just distribute those
that’s how we’re building Salt using tiamat
Andrew> beacons.save doesn’t persist – is that going into Aluminum?
Gareth> There’s a PR open for that, slated to go in for Aluminium
Gary> Paid Salt employees seem to be taken off some of the WG meetings – is that just a larger trend, or just optimizing resources to the WGs that are getting a lot of traction?
Sage> definitely the latter
Gary> What is the future for Salt Cloud? With vRA absorbing SSE, which has a lot of those parallel features, will Salt Cloud die?
Sage> I don’t think that it will be EOLed, as far as I understand it will continue to be supported
Janae> I know Tyler is still contributing to it
Sage> I can take that back and make sure that my understanding is correct
Andrew> What will become of the training/cert programs for Salt Open?
Sage> AFAIK it’s just continuing, but I’ll make sure to follow up to make sure that is. they’ve been full classes
Kirill> can get some more info on the SSE EOL?
utahdave> (Dave Boucha) I think the email was a little miscommunicated…
- SSE will be vRealize Standard Plus – You can still get what is called SSE today, just rebranded (renamed)
- vRealize customers will be able to get SSE functionality included
- If you’re a current customer you’ll do it under the VMWare name, not SaltStack, that’s the only difference
- If you’re a current customer, contracts will be supported, etc.
- If you have other questions, please reach out
(lots of good discussion about SaltStack the community + VMware)
Sage> yeah, our meetup next week will be all about that as well (I guess it’s next wednesday, not tuesday)