Open Hour 2021-MAR-04
- General Updates
- Release Updates
- Package Updates
- Salt Enhancement Proposals
- Working Groups and Clinics
- Salt Extensions
- Question & Answer
- YouTube Video
We could use some help on the website! Do you have WordPress skills and could contribute?
Community Advisory Board (CAB): Are you interested? Send an email to email@example.com! Include:
- Why you want to join
- What you will contribute
- Impression or ideas of the scope of the group
- Resume or LinkedIn profile
- Reference SEP 27: https://github.com/saltstack/salt-enhancement-proposals/pull/36
CentOS7 Symlinks issue, where we are going to cleanup Salt Project repo items: https://github.com/saltstack/salt/issues/59684
- Related issues for May 2021 repo changes: https://github.com/saltstack/salt/issues/59647
Salt Air relaunched! Checkout the new video:
- Salt Air playlist on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9svBjLDUl_-yS-Nmlzom_dM81dmF1Ye7
- New videos will be posted each Thursday, including a new one dropping later today!
CVE Retrospective: Next week on 2021-MAR-11.
- See issue: https://github.com/saltstack/salt/issues/59631
- Feedback can be added to the issue discussion, or Slack messaged to @sagetherage
Checkout the current calendar (next week, we may be showing the community a new events calendar, which would be updating/replacing the following):
- All Community Events: https://saltproject.io/community-events/
- Community Events RSS Feed: https://saltproject.io/community-events/feed/
Virtual Meetup on March 17, Wed. 5pm, MDT
- Randy Thompson with GoDaddy will be presenting
- The build pipeline for Tiamat build salt binaries, states, etc. as a walled garden deploy setup for teams
Misc. Salt Project Links
- CVE upcoming release: Noon MTN time, releasing later today (Feb. 25th)
Aluminium Release: March 31st
- Code freeze was: Feb. 25th
- Move RC date to March 4th
- Review release process and updates: March 18th
(Maybe include the diagram with Aluminium release milestones from the slides?)
- Slack channel: #salt-package-updates
- Project board: https://github.com/orgs/saltstack/projects/31
Salt Enhancement Proposals
- Many in the final stage
- The Change Advisory Board SEP is still in-progress
We are working on a communications plan to be more transparent, and scheduled.
Docs Working Group and Docs Clinic streams:
- New docs salt-user-guide: https://gitlab.com/saltstack/open/docs/salt-user-guide
- Join the #Documentation channel on the community slack
- Docs Working group is continuing onward, so feel free to join and help the docs
Summary of working groups (take a look at the calendar!):
- Idem-Cloud working group: MAR-08 4PM MDT
- Formulas Working Group: Every other Tue.
- Docs: Every other Thu.
- MacOS & Windows: Active
New working groups starting up:
- Salty K8s
- Testing and Release
- The Cloud Working group is thinking of experimenting/merging the Salty k8s Working Group into the Cloud Working Group
- Salt Project is going to make a decision
Streams: Test clinics, docs clinics, and idem/pop streams!
- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/saltstackinc
- Salt extensions are being documented, so that users can be provided a path to create new extensions
- Work is underway on VMware integrations
- Planning for a Docs Jam in the next release cycle
- Want to help with triage? Salt Project really could use the help!
What’s this about rpm cleanup on repo.saltproject.io?
We’re removing the repo rpms from archive.repo.saltstack.com (not the salt rpms), not providing new ones, and when we archive a release, delete those repo rpms (the salt rpms will still be archived as they always have been). Repo rpms are just the ones used to setup the repo and only hold the gpg keys and the /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo files.
PR: 58238 – concerns around tpl* options
When we get to QA time:
- Is this still needed? There was a bunch of discussion around tpl* and friends in https://github.com/saltstack/salt/pull/58238
Do we still want these tpl* changes? There are concerns that some previous problems may have been duplicated by 56918
Undocumented minion/master config options: An EPIC Journey
We could use some serious help here:
This may be what we use for the next Docs Jam.
Are CI-related commands documented and able to be run by users on PRs?
There is a reserved set of syntactical commands for CI, which are documented somewhere. Though, only contributors with certain privileges can run the commands.
Repo managing the pr commands:
- Repo needs a LICENSE file, and an improved README