Open Hour 2022-MAR-3
March 3, 2022 - Alyssa Rock
- General updates and announcements
- IDEM project
- Community forum updates
- Q&A plus discussion
General updates and announcements
- Open Hours are held every 1st and 3rd Thursday from 10a.m. to 11a.m. Pacific.
- Our next Salt Community Open Hour will be March 17th.
- Salt Project is modernizing its Code of Conduct. That means we’re making it a little more positive, inclusive, welcoming, and hopefully a lot more clear.
- We are looking for new Community Moderators to join the existing team of moderators: Chunga, Wayne Werner, and Alyssa Rock. These are people who can help keep track of what is occurring in the community and are familiar with what to do when a Code of Conduct problem arises.
- We want you for the Salty 5!
- The IDEM Project is live!
- Go to idemproject.io and check it out!
Community forum updates
- This week’s featured topic:
- names:can be used everywhere, but should they be?
- Solution: Just default to using
- nameinstead. The docs that can help, but be aware that the example is problematic: https://docs.saltproject.io/en/latest/ref/states/highstate.html#names-declaration
- Additional issue: Some users are experiencing problems with worker threads. The issue is with setting worker threads too high on systems with really low CPUs. As a general rule, don’t set your max worker threads any higher than 1.5 times the number of CPUs. Otherwise, it can begin losing TCP connections and minions will begin dropping off and master to minion communication can break down.
Q&A plus discussion
- Q: Is the pr-arch-lts-x86_64-py3-pytest test jacked up? Second time I’ve re-run this, and it’s spent the last 4+ hours trying to SSH to the system.
- A: This is a known issue and we’re working on it. We just haven’t found the fix yet.
- Q: Curious about input on this PR. I found some code that got reverted and I’m not sure if it was for a reason. https://github.com/saltstack/salt/pull/61744
- A: We’ll definitely take a look.
- Q: Can I get some 3005 labels on these? Should be ready to approve/merge (with the exception of the stalled Arch LTS test). When is the release coming?
- Q: When is the release coming?
- A: We’re still having discussions about release timelines, but we’re not quite ready for any public announcements yet. We’ll publicize release plans soon!