Salt security advisory release - 2023-OCT-27
The Salt Project released a security update to Salt to address 1 vulnerability with severity rating Medium. We recommend prioritizing this update. This is a security advisory release. This release includes fixing the following vulnerability:
- Description: The Salt-SSH pre-flight option copies the script to the target at a predictable path, which allows an attacker to force Salt-SSH to run their script.
- Impact: If an attacker has access to the target VM and knows the path to the pre-flight script before it runs they can ensure Salt-SSH runs their script with the privileges of the user running Salt-SSH.
- Solution: Do not make the copy path on the target predictable and ensure we check return codes of the scp command if the copy fails.
- How to Mitigate:
- Upgrade Salt masters to 3005.4 or 3006.4
- Attribution: Suse
- Severity Rating: 6.7 CVSS:3.0(AV:L/AC:H/PR:L/UI:R/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H)
Updated packages for the versions below can be found at https://repo.saltproject.io for these supported versions of Salt.